While relocating, the most frequently asked question is often "Where do I get moving boxes?" or "Where do I get free moving boxes?" (You can see our post here on the latter). Boxes are important to use for a number of reasons besides the obvious, protection.
Other reasons to use boxes:
- Boxes decrease the loading time of professional movers compared to bags, trunks, etc.
- Cardboard moving boxes are lighter than traditional plastic bins or alternatives, decreasing the cost of your move if you are paying "per pound".
- The thin double walls of cardboard boxes better "rattle" protection due to their ability to absorb some amount of shock (compared to plastic bins for instance).
- Clothes in trash bags is a common approach, but the thing lining of the bags rarely protects clothes from damage during loading and unloading.
There are a number of great resources for more information on boxes:
- Wikipedia on "Moving Boxes"
- Wikipedia on "Cardboard"
- Free box exchange
- Finding free boxes
- Finding free boxes, college edition
Articles on "Green" Boxes
- Opinion piece on plastic vs cardboard boxes
- New York Times on Boxes